Laos' isolation from foreign influence offers travellers an unparalleled glimpse of traditional Southeast Asian life. From the fertile lowlands of the Mekong River valley to the rugged Annamite highlands, Laos is the highlight of southeast Asia. Now, after two decades of isolation from the outside world, this landlocked, sparsely populated country is enjoying peace, stabilizing its political and economic structures, and admitting foreign visitors - albeit in limited numbers, owing to a general lack of infrastructure.
Total Land Border Length: 1,126 kilometers (700 mi)
Total Land Area: 236,800 square kilometers (91,400 mi)
Vietnam: 2,130 kilometres; Thailand: 1,754 kilometres, Cambodia: 541 kilometres, China: 423 kilometres, Myanmar: 235 kilometres
* Visa Exemption
- Laos visa exemption for 15 citizens: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Japan, Lucxembourg, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Russia, Philippines, Singapore, Korea, Switzerland, Vietnam, Thailand.
+ Citizen of Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam visa exemption Lao with a stay period of not more than 30 days.
+ Citizen of Japan, Lucxembourg, Korea, Switzerland visa exemption Lao with a stay period of not more than 15 days.
+ Citizen of Brunei, Myanmar visa exemption Lao with a stay period of not more than 14 days
+ Diplomatic passport or official passports of Japan, Pakistan, Serbia and South Korea visa exemption for 90 days to work.
+ Diplomatic passport or official passport of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, China, Cuba, Czech Republic, Georgia, Hungary, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Myanmar, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Poland, Russia, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan visa exemption Laos for 30 days.
+ The diplomatic passport or official passport of Indonesian visa exemption Laos for 14 days.
* Visa Procurement in Laos
- You can either apply yourself by submitting the form to the Laos Embassy/Consulate in your country or apply Laos visa on arrival.
- Visitors from other countries can apply visa in 27 national border gates except Napao - Chalo (Viẹtnam); Subhun (China); Pakxan-Bueng Kan (Thailand); Xieng Kok river port (Myanmar) (with a stay period of not more than 30 days). Specific:
+ On arrival, head to the window marked visa on arrival (don’t waste your time lining up at the immigration window if you don’t already have the visa). In most ports of entry including the Lao international border crossing points and Lao International Airports (Vientiane, Luang Prabang, Pakse and Savannakhet) the Laos visa on arrival window is located at the arrival channel (before or next to the immigration windows).
+ If you have not already pre-filled the application form, get it at the window and fill it out (if you arrive by plane, the visa form as well as immigration form should be given to you before landing, get them ready before leaving the plane);
+ Submit the completed form together with your passport and 2 photographs;
+ Pay the visa fee (cash, payable in US dollars), a complete list of fees is usually placed at the window for your reference; + After providing everything needed, wait nearby, your name will be called once your visa is ready.
The visa processing time varies between ports of entry. At major airports or at Lao-Thai Friendship Bridge in Vientiane it takes around 10-15 minutes. Delays are possible in late afternoons, weekends and public holidays at both visa window and immigration windows especially at the Lao-Thai Friendship Bridges.
• If you cannot find your country in the list, you can assume it costs $US 30 (Others), or otherwise your country may be in “not eligible” countries list.
• On weekends, Lao public holidays, before 8am and after 4pm weekdays, there is a $1 over time fee. In addition an entry fee (2,500 Kip or so) may be charged.
• At Thai-Lao international border checkpoints Thai Baht may be accepted for Laos visa on arrival fee, We’d recommend paying your visa fee in US dollars to avoid loosing money through unfavorable exchange rates. The same rules apply when you apply the Visa at the border with Vietnam, Cambodia, or China
• Similarly, if you want to save a bit here and there when in Laos, it is better to pay in the currency quoted whether it is US dollars, Lao Kip or Thai Baht whenever possible to avoid converting from one currency to another. You might want to apply this strategy when paying your hotels, restaurant and shopping bills especially if it is a large sum of money.
• The list of ‘Who cannot get Visa on Arrival: Afghanistan; Algeria; Bangladesh; Burundi; Cameroon; Congo; DR Congo; Ghana; Guinea; Guinea-Bissau; Ivory Coast; Iran; Iraq; Jordan; Lebanon; Lesotho; Liberia; Libya; Mozambique; Nauru; Niger; Nigeria; Pakistan; Senegal; Sierra Leone; Sudan; Suriname; Swaziland; Syria; Tonga; Turkey; Zambia; Zimbabwe.
- Luang Prabang International airport (Luang Prabang - Laos)
- Wattay International airport (Vientiane - Laos) yes
Airlines State Enterprise is the national airline of Laos, headquartered in Vientiane. It operates domestic as well as international services to countries such as Cambodia, China, Thailand, Vietnam, and Korea. Its main operating base is Wattay International Airport in Vientiane. It is subordinate to the Ministry of Public Works and Transport.